Nearly 1,500 students eligible to graduate from UCM this weekend

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – The University of Central Missouri will honor nearly 1,500 students during its 2014 spring commencement ceremonies Friday and Saturday.
Commencement activities begin with a reception for graduate students from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Friday in the Elliott Student Union, followed by the Graduate Commencement Ceremony at 7 p.m. in the Multipurpose Building. Graduation exercises continue Saturday with ceremonies at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. During the morning ceremony, degrees will be conferred upon graduates of the Adrian and Margaret Harmon College of Business and Professional Studies and the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. The afternoon event is for graduates of the College of Education and the College of Health, Science, and Technology.
Five awards will also be presented during the ceremonies.
On Saturday, the university will recognize St. Louis Fire Department Captain Gregg Favre as the Outstanding Recent Alumnus. Team Physicians at Central Family Medicine in Warrensburg, Drs. Douglas Anderson, Curtis Dyer, David Glover and Brent Hoke will receive the Distinguished Service Award for their support of UCM’s athletic teams.
UCM student Jon Ericksen, who is a member of the Missouri Army National Guard 1-135th Attack Reconnaissance Battalion, will receive the Mike Carter Award for Exceptional Service to the University, Community and Military. Ericksen will be recognized at both the morning and afternoon graduation exercises on Saturday.
Other special awards presented each spring include the Byler Distinguished Faculty Award, which honors the top faculty member, James Staab, professor of political science, and the Charno Award recognizing the top male and female citizens of the senior class. Charno Award winners are Christina Parle, a student from Belton who is graduating with a double major in criminal justice and political science, and Chase Neill, a student from Lawrence, Kan., who is graduating with a general studies degree. The Byler and Charno awards will be presented during both ceremonies on Saturday.
Other special activities Saturday include the Department of Nursing Pinning Ceremony at 11 a.m. in Hendricks Hall, as well as a joint reception for the Department of Nursing and The Honors College and their guests from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Sandra Temple Elliott Ballroom of the Elliott Student Union.
Also on Saturday, the U.S. Army ROTC Commissioning ceremonies begin at 4:30 p.m. in Hendricks Hall, followed by a reception in Elliott Student Union 237A/B.
President Charles Ambrose will serve as the commencement speaker for both undergraduate ceremonies. Adam Michael Blood, candidate for the Master of Arts in Mass Communication degree, will speak during the graduate ceremony.
All ceremonies are open to the public.
For more information, visit the website ucmo.edu/registrar/graduation/questions.cfm.