Mules baseball take lead to MIAA Championship

(EDMOND, Okla.) — The 17th-ranked Central Missouri Mules closed out the regular season on a three-game winning streak after beating Central Oklahoma 10-7 on Sunday at Wendall Simmons Field. The Mules rallied from a 6-2 deficit to earn the win. UCM earns the No. 1 seed in the upcoming MIAA Tournament and will host eighth-seeded Northeastern State in a best of three series.
The Mules (35-14, 32-8 MIAA) got on the board in the top of the first on Brad Wilson’s RBI single that scored Trever Jones. The Bronchos (34-14, 26-14 MIAA) wasted no time in the home half of the inning getting back-to-back homers from Matt Johnson and Jake O’Brien to take a 3-1 lead.
The Mules scored a run in the second on Jones’ RBI triple, but UCO came back with two more runs in the bottom of the inning to take a 5-2 lead. The lead grew to 6-2 in the bottom of the third when Josh Ingram doubled in another run.
The Broncho lead stood until the sixth when the Mules erupted for five runs to take a 7-6 lead. Seth Wheeler got things started with an RBI single that scored  Hunter Johnson. Jones added another RBI single to make it 6-4 and Jake Alexander’s RBI single made it 6-5. Tony Sandifer put UCM in front 7-6 when he laced a two-run double to left center.
UCM tacked on three more runs in the eighth to extend the lead to 10-6. Wilson had a two-run double and later scored on Kevin Gratza’s RBI single up the middle. The Bronchos plated one run in the ninth on an O’Brien RBI single, but Zach Davis  came on to save the game and give the Mules the victory.
Zak Anstine  (1-1) picked up the win after tossing 5.2 innings of solid relief. He scattered six hits and struck out 11 en route to his first win of the season. Davis recorded his 12th save of the season, moving him into sole possession of second place on UCM’s single-season saves list. His 19th career save moves him into a tie for second place all-time at UCM with Nick Webber (2003-05).
Phillip Wilson (3-2) took the loss for Central Oklahoma after giving up five runs on five hits in two innings of relief.
Jones finished the day with three hits and a pair of RBI, while Wilson went 2-for-4 with three runs driven in and Sandifer added two RBI.
The Mules have earned the No. 1 seed in the MIAA Tournament and will host No. 8 seed Northeastern State (24-26, 20-20 MIAA) in a best of three first round series. The series will begin on Thursday, May 1 at a still to be determined time at Crane Stadium/Tompkins Field in Warrensburg.