UCM senior competes in Bassmaster fishing tournament

(OSAGE BEACH, Mo.) — A University of Central Missouri student is representing one of 87 college teams from 32 schools at the Carhartt Bassmaster College Series Midwestern Regional on Friday and Saturday at the Lake of the Ozarks in Branson, Mo.
Traditionally held in summer, the Midwestern Regional makes a two-month jump into changing water conditions.
“It’s snowing up here right now,” said Scott Sullivan, a senior at UCM. “It’s supposed to warm, but this past weekend has been pretty slow.
“A lot of people underestimate this water body, but the lake is so big it will be hard to fish. I suspect fish will be moving up into the shallows, and if the water temperature stays stable, it will take 20 to 25 pounds a day to win it.”
The college are fighting for a chance to fish in the Carhartt Bassmaster College Series National Championship.
“Placing in the top 15 in the tournament gives your team an automatic berth in the National Championship and puts these college anglers one step closer to earning a bid to the 2015 Bassmaster Classic,” Hank Weldon, college tournament manager, in a news release.
Along with the four schools from Missouri, the 2013 Midwestern champions will be defending their title on Lake of the Ozarks.
“I have never fished Lake of the Ozarks,” said Eric Logisz, of the Milwaukee School of Engineering, who with teammate Marshall Sandretto won the Midwestern Regional in 2013. “I think there’s more pressure on us because we won last year, and we’re expected to do well. But, maybe we’ll be a little more comfortable because we know what to expect.”