School Board: Wirthwein ready to give back by serving on board

Editor’s Note: This is the first in a series of four stories profiling the candidates for the R-6 Board of Education.
By DEVIN R. NEGRETE
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – Ed Wirthwein has lived in Warrensburg for the past five years, and said he is running for the Warrensburg R-6 Board of Education as a chance to give back to the community.
Wirthwein is one of four candidates who have filed for three available seats on the school board in the April 8 election. Also on the ballot are Lisa Dyer, Adam Horn and Gary Grigsby.
Wirthwein is the assistant director of the Elliott Student Union at the University of Central Missouri. He is married and has two children attending the Warrensburg R-6 School District.
Wirthwein earned a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree from UCM and said he knows the impact that education has on students.
“I want to make sure that when students leave Warrensburg they are job, trade school and college ready,” he said.  “I want to make sure that our school district is giving them those skills for them to use in the real world for whatever they decide to do.”
Wirthwein said he wants to help improve the school district.
“I want to make this one of the best school districts and give a sense of pride to everyone in the community,” Wirthwein said. “I want the best and I think anyone in our community would want that for their kid.”
Even though Wirthwein is not originally from the Warrensburg area, he said he still feels strongly for the town.
“I’m not from here, but I’ve always felt like Warrensburg is that second school for me and I’ve always had a lot of pride for the town and the school district,” he said.