Jennies softball drops a pair of games at No. 15 Fort Hays State

(HAYS, Kan.) — The Jennies softball team dropped a doubleheader at No. 15 Fort Hays State on Sunday afternoon, 11-3 in six innings and 8-6.
In game one, UCM (5-7, 0-2 MIAA) scored three runs in the first two innings, the first two runs coming on errors and the third coming via a wild pitch that plated Jessica Neely from third base.
Fort Hays State put a seven-spot on the board in the bottom half of the second on just four hits, knocking out Jennies’ starter Katie Shockley after 1 2/3 innings.
The Tigers added four more in the sixth inning to end the game on single by Samantha Villarreal that scored two runners and a two-run triple by Amy Dunn that plated the game-winning runs.
Shockley’s record fell to 0-1 after yielding seven runs, all earned on three hits. She walked three and fanned a batter. Jessica Wilkes finished the final four innings for the Jennies.
Lindsey Dawson and Madison Hood each went 2-for-3 in game one.
In game two, Fort Hays State took a 1-0 lead in the first on a double by Danie Brinkmann.
The Jennies answered with two of their own in the top of the second on an RBI single by Neely that plated Jakki Prater and Amanda Nally‘s steal of home plate.
The Tigers regained the lead at 6-2 with a five-spot in the home half of the second on four hits and two errors by the Jennies.
Three runs in the fourth and fifth innings cut the deficit to 6-5. Jill Lucas and Neely both scored on an error by the shortstop, plating UCM’s third and fourth runs in the fourth frame. The fifth run in the top of the fifth came via an RBI single by Prater that brought home Alex Groeger who reached on a double.
Back-to-back homeruns by Fort Hays State’s Villarreal and Amanda Vaupel in the bottom of the sixth gave the Tigers a commanding 8-5 lead.
The Jennies threatened to get back into the game in the top of the seventh following a two-out RBI double from Kristen Heil, but Katlyn Kern of Fort Hays State retired Neely to end the game.
Prater took the loss in game two to fall to 5-2. She threw 5 2/3 innings, and allowed 11 hits on eight runs, three earned and issued three walks.
Heil and Neely each collected two hits and drove in a run for the Jennies in the second game of the twinbill.
UCM will make its home debut next Friday with a 4 p.m. doubleheader against Missouri Western.