UCM hosts 9/11 remembrance ceremony

Members of the UCM ROTC color guard lower the flag to half-staff in honor of those who died during the 9/11 tragedy.

Photos by ANDREW MATHER (WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – Emergency personnel, students, faculty, administrators, military officials and others gathered Tuesday for a remembrance ceremony to honor those who lost their lives on Sept. 11, 2001.

Members of the UCM ROTC Color Guard lower the flag to half-staff in honor of those who died during the 9/11 tragedy.

The ceremony included a welcome from UCM President Charles Ambrose and keynote remarks from Larry Kay, executive director of the Missouri Veterans Commission. He is also the father of UCM freshman music major, Anna Kay, who sang the national anthem.
Other participants included the university’s Army ROTC Color Guard, faculty and students from the UCM Department of Music, members of the Collegiate Firefighters Association, as well as local first responders. These included firefighting units, law enforcement and ambulance service personnel from Warrensburg, Johnson County and Whiteman Air Force Base.
Additional ceremonies were planned around the nation on the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which involved the loss of nearly 3,000 lives and collapse of the World Trade Center towers in New York City, and fatal airplane crashes that occurred at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania. In addition to thousands of civilians who were killed, some 343 firefighters and paramedics, 23 police officers, and 37 Port Authority police officers died during these terrorist acts.

[email_link]