Mules take down No. 15 Fort Hays State in overtime

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) The Central Missouri Mules scored 20 points in overtime to upset 15th-ranked Fort Hays State 93-85 Thursday night at the UCM Multipurpose Building.
The win improves UCM’s record to 7-1 overall and 1-0 in MIAA play.
The game started at a frenetic pace with the teams trading buckets on seemingly every possession. The Mules were able to grab a three-point advantage at 13-10 with 14:03 left in the half, but a 6-1 run by Fort Hays State (7-1, 0-1 MIAA) gave the Tigers a 16-14 lead with 11:25 left in the first half.
The Mules responded with a 15-0 run to take their largest lead of the game 29-16 with 6:21 remaining in the opening period. The Tigers came right back with a 10-0 run of their own to pull within 29-26 at the 3:49 mark of the first half. UCM pushed the lead back to five, but a 5-1 spurt by FHSU pulled them within 34-33 with :46 left. Daylen Robinson hit a layup with 18 seconds left in the half and the Mules led 36-33 at halftime.
Central Missouri was able to push the lead to seven out of the break only to see Fort Hays State pull right back to within two. Ryan Magdziarz hit a three and then a layup to push the Mule lead back to seven at 45-38 with 14:49 left. After three free throws from FHSU, Ryan Donald scored a traditional three-point play to push UCM back in front by seven at 48-41.
An 8-0 run by the Tigers gave them their first lead since 16-14 at 49-48 with 11:42 to play in the game. Dillon Deck‘s three-point play pushed the Mules back in front, but a three from Achoki Moikobu gave the lead right back to the Tigers.
Robinson hit a jumper to put UCM in front by one and Deck’s jumper gave the Mules a three-point advantage. The Mules pushed the lead to five at the 8:40 mark of the second half, but a 9-2 run gave the Tigers a 63-61 lead with 5:19 to play in regulation.
A three-point play from Deck and two free throws from Jordan Epps gave the Mules a three-point lead, but Fort Hays State came right back to tie the game at 67-all with 2:11 to play.
On the ensuing possession Carson Konrade came up with a loose ball and drilled a three to put FHSU in front 70-67 with 1:30 on the clock. Kyle Wolf scored a layup to pull UCM with one, but Craig Nicholson hit a pair of foul shots to push the Tiger lead back to three with 32 seconds remaining.
Robinson’s layup with :22 left pulled UCM within one and Nicholson was immediately fouled. His missed both foul shots, his first misses of the game, and UCM secured the rebound. Robinson was fouled with :08 left and he hit both free throws to put UCM in front 73-72. Nicholson drove the length of the court and was fouled with :04 left. He made one of two at the line to send the game to overtime.
Robinson hit two more foul shots to put UCM in front early in OT, but Konrade splashed home another three to give FHSU a 76-75 lead. A 6-0 run by UCM, including four straight points from Donald gave UCM an 81-76 lead they wouldn’t relinquish.
The Tigers got to within three at 81-78, but a three-point play from Donald and then a steal and dunk from Magdziarz gave the Mules an 86-78 lead. Magdziarz was whistled for a technical foul for hanging on the rim giving the Tigers two foul shots, which they made. Wolf secured a big rebound on the ensuing possession and made both free throws to give UCM an 88-80 lead with just over a minute to play in the extra period.
Fort Hays State got back to within four at 89-85 with :46 left, but the Mules were able to ice the game at the free-throw line.
Robinson led UCM with a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds to go along with seven assists. Deck fouled out with 19 points and nine boards. Wolf added 17 points and nine rebounds, while Donald and Epps each finished with 13 points.
UCM was 29 of 56 from the field for 52 percent, but just 2 of 8 from beyond the arc. The Mules made 33 of 45 free throws for 73 percent.
Fort Hays State was led by Konrade’s game-high 30 points. Dwayne Brunson had 17 points and 10 boards, while Nicholson added 16 points and 11 assists.
The Mules out-rebounded FHSU 48-24 and held a 32-26 advantage in points in the paint. The UCM bench out-scored the Tiger bench 37-18.
FHSU had 19 assists to just eight turnovers and they turned 16 UCM turnovers into 24 points.
The Mules are back in action on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. hosting MacMurray College. The game can be heard live on 1450 KOKO, 98.5 The Bar and warrensburgradio.com. A pay-per-view student-run webcast will also be available from the UCM Media Network. The webcast can be accessed at AmericaOneSports.com or through the Live Video links on UCMathletics.com.