Mules wrestling has two placewinners at UCM Open

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — The Central Missouri Mules had a pair of runner-up finishes at the annual UCM Open on Sunday afternoon at the UCM Multipurpose Building. Frank Cagnina and Ty Loethen took second place, at 149 and 165 pounds, respectively.
The Mules put six wrestlers into the quarterfinals, but were only able to come away with two place winners. Malacai Collins at 125 pounds, and Hunter Neighbors at 133 pounds both reached the quarterfinals before falling in the next two matches to finish 2-2. Eric Mateo at 141 pounds made the quarterfinals as well, and finished 2-1 on day.Todd Brier at 197 pounds finished 1-2 after reaching the quarterfinals.
Cagnina went 4-1 on the day picking up three major decisions and a fall before losing 5-2 to second ranked Jordan Basks of Central Oklahoma in the finals. He pinned LeSean Sanders of UCO in 2:01 in his first match, then major decisioned Brandon Rice of Mizzou 15-2 in his second match. He picked up back to back major decisions over opponents from Maryville in the quarters and semifinals.
Loethen finished 3-1 on the day losing to third ranked Chris Watson of Central Oklahoma 3-0 in the finals. He picked up a fall in :25 in his first match of the day and beat Patrick Whitener of Missouri 7-1 in the quarterfinals.
The Mules are back in action next Saturday Nov. 23 at the UNK Open.