Downtown gears up for Burg Fest

By STEPHEN GANEY
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) — Warrensburg’s often-quaint downtown comes alive this weekend with the start of the Burg Fest. This free outdoor event packs a multitude of activities, craft and food vendors, live concerts and more into three days throughout downtown Warrensburg. At approximately 5 p.m. mayor Charlie Rutt will officially open the festivities, accompanied by the JROTC Color Guard.
Among the Friday highlights are a performance by the Marching Mules Pep Band at 5:30 p.m., and Cowboy Bart’s Imaginary Band at 6 p.m. Taking the main stage will be the Nace Brothers and the Travis Gibson Band at 8 and 10 p.m., respectively. The Beer Garden will be open Friday and Saturday from 5 p.m. to midnight.
On Saturday, a high heel race, sponsored by Brown’s Shoe Fit, will kick off the festivities at 10 a.m. Attendees then have their choice of activities ranging from Zumba with Studio Arriba to performances by the Warrensburg High School Show Choir, the Mulekickers and Tigerettes, Luehrman, Shaffer, and Check, and more throughout the day.
There is a barbecue cook-off sponsored by Elks Lodge 673. Car lovers can get their fill at the Classic Car Show and Shine on Gay Street from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Warrensburg Fire Department will be conducting a house burn demonstration at the corner of Holden and Hout streets at 10 a.m.
Evening performances will be from Linda Bales and Scott McBride, Chance the Arm, Random Access, and the Norman Jackson Band.
The Burg Fest also offers a wide range of activities for children, such as the Cupcake Walk, the Pumpkin Pass, and Jumbo Twister. Kids can show off their bubble-blowing skills at the Bubble Gum Blowing Contest, or try to fight off brain freeze at the Bomb Pop Eating Contest, sponsored by D&G Mobile Ice Cream Sales.
The festival’s final day will be filled with gospel and praise music. The Sunday celebration will include music from Life Nazarene, Harvest Fellowship, First Baptist, First United Methodist, Northside Christian, Grover Baptist, Shiloh Baptist, Bethlehem Lutheran and other churches.
For a full schedule of events and locations, go to the Burg Fest website.