Despite adversity, Warrensburg Tigers hope to turn the season around

By JAMIE EMBREY
(WARRENSBURG, Mo., digitalBURG) – Almost halfway through the football season, the Warrensburg Tigers are 0-4. With conference play beginning this Friday, the team has been practicing hard and preparing for a big game with Sedalia.
The team has faced numerous challenges this season with a team consisting of only four seniors.
“We don’t have as much experience as we would like to have,” said head coach Scott Grinde. 
He added that he’s “not going to sit here and make excuses. We just haven’t played very well.”
Junior Quarterback Nathan Griffith believes the key to winning their first conference game is staying focused in practice and preparing during the week.
“Some of the guys on the team don’t work hard in practice,” Griffith said, “so that shows during games.”
Griffith said the schedule so far has been difficult but “the teams in our conference are a lot more our caliber.”  
As the season progresses, the team is confident that all of their players will develop the skills necessary to play at varsity level.
Grinde said the team would continue to practice hard and learn how to compete at a high level. The coaches are working to help their players understand the pace of the game and how critical their assignments are in the execution of the game plan.
“You are not going to win every battle but you have to continue to battle at the highest level you can as an individual,” Grinde said.
Despite the recent losses, there is no lack of confidence among the team.
“The team has decided that our mindset for the rest of the season is to act like those (first) four games didn’t happen, that we are 0-0,” Griffith said. “It gives us a second wind to think we are still in this as long as we play well during conference play.”
Junior wide receiver Bo Mackey said perseverance and trust are important.
“We have to trust what our coaches have taught us and trust (that) the guy standing next to you will do their job, too,” Mackey said. “We have to become tougher mentally and physically and never give up.”
He is also confident about this upcoming game.
“I believe we truly have a great chance to win this Friday,” Mackey said.
Turning the season around starts with Sedalia on Friday night.
Jamie Embrey is a student at Warrensburg High School.