UCM hosts Johnson County Heart Walk Oct. 5

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) – Hundreds of area residents will publicly show their support for friends and loved ones who are affected by cardiovascular disease and stroke by participating in the 2013 Johnson County Heart Walk Saturday, Oct. 5, according to a press release. The walk begins near the west side of the University of Central Missouri Student Recreation and Wellness Center, south of the Administration Building.

Amanda Avent, a UCM graduate and American Heart Association staff member who is leading the Heart Walk Committee, said the goal is to raise more than $50,000 to support life-saving initiatives that are funded by the AHA.  Some 37teams and 353 walkers have signed up to participate in the event that begins at 9 a.m. from the quadrangle. Registration is 8 a.m. In addition to walkers and team which are raising funds, the Heart Walk also accepts corporate contributions.

Avent said the Heart Walk is a way for individuals to honor others may have suffered from a heart attack or stroke, the nation’s No. 1 and No. 4 killers. The annual event promotes physical activity and heart-healthy living while raising funds in support of the fight against the disease that affects an estimated one in three Johnson Countians.

The walk will encompass more than one mile with a route that will take participants off campus toward the downtown area and back. It also offers a family atmosphere that includes activities for children and a number of booths, where participants can obtain information about how to lead healthy lifestyles.

For more information, visit johnsoncountyheartwalk.org, or contact Amanda Avent, corporate events director, Field Operations, Midwest Affiliate, AHA, at 660-441-0090, or email [email protected].