Whiteman Air Force Base invites UCM faculty and staff to tour

(WARRENSBURG, Mo.) — University of Central Missouri faculty and staff will have an opportunity to tour Whiteman Air Force Base 1-4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10 through a special program that is being coordinated by the Office of Military and Veteran Services in cooperation with Whiteman leadership.
The tour is free of charge, and will be offered on-a first-come, first-serve basis to interested UCM employees, with preference given to faculty and those who work directly with service members in their campus role. Advance registration by Thursday, Sept. 26 is required. Additional opportunities to tour the base will be announced in the future.
The tours are designed to help faculty and staff gain a better understanding of the military environment in which many of the university’s military students work and reside, in addition to learning about the demands service members have while pursuing their education.
Transportation to Whiteman and back will be provided by UCM. Registered and approved individuals will depart campus at 12:25 p.m. The visit to Whiteman will include a windshield tour of the base, followed by a unit mission brief conducted by Public Affairs. The visit concludes with opportunities to get a close-up look at aircraft such as the B-2 Bomber and the A-10. The group will arrive back in Warrensburg about 4:30 p.m.
According to the Office of Military and Veteran Services, participants must be mobile, adaptable to fluctuating temperatures, able to withstand difficult maneuvers such as climbing and ascending and descending stairs, as well as movement from different vehicles to facilities.
Individuals who plan to attend will be required to provide mandatory personal information for base access upon registration, and will be required to provide two forms of identification upon their admittance, to include two forms of photo ID.
To obtain a registration form or to learn more, contact Jeff Huffman @[email protected] or Delilah Nichols, Military and Veteran Services, at [email protected] or 660-543-8776.