UCM Hosts Skyhaven Airport Airshow Sept. 7

Acrobatic performances, aircraft rides and more are planned for an air show at the University of Central Missouri’s Max B. Swisher Skyhaven Airport Saturday, Sept. 7.
The Skyhaven Airport Community Air Show is free and open to the public. Visitors can tour the airport facilities, take aircraft rides, see WWII and modern aircraft, and experience a variety of activities related to aviation, according to a news release. The air show gates will open at 9 a.m. and the scheduled performances begin at noon and run through 4 p.m.
“This year’s show will offer something for everyone,” said Tony Monetti, assistant dean of aviation at UCM, in a news release. “In addition to offering a fun day for the family, we’re focusing on education, so there will be a variety of opportunities to learn about aviation from some of the most experienced pilots in the profession while viewing firsthand the latest in aviation technology and equipment.”
This year’s show will include seven aerobatic performances and include rides in multiple aircraft. A highlight of the show will be an aerobatic demonstration by Joe “Rifle” Shetterly of Skyhaven-based Rifle Airshows, flying the Vans RV-8, a custom-designed aerobatic airplane. He will perform at 2 p.m. and execute a variety of precision aerobatics. He will be available to sign autographs.
A resident of Warrensburg, Rifle is a former A-10 West Demo pilot who is an active instructor pilot in the A-10.
A second highlight of the airshow will be Erik Edgren’s comedy air show performance. Edgren has worked as a flight instructor and instructor/pilot for an air combat school in the AT-6/SNJ, and as a corporate pilot in the Lear jets and King Air. He has flown more than150 different makes and models of aircraft.
For a nominal fee, Johnny Rowlands, veteran helicopter pilot and traffic reporter for Channel 9 in Kansas City, will provide helicopter rides. Also on display and available for rides will be the B-25J Mitchell World War II bomber, “Show Me,”  a SNJ-6 WWII Fighter Trainer, and a Stinson Junior.
Airport staff and UCM aviation faculty and students will be on hand to answer questions about the department of aviation as well as the individual and corporate aviation services available at the airport.
Inspired by the legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen, art by area students relating to aviation will be on display and results of the essay contest will be announced, with the winner receiving a $1,000 UCM aviation scholarship.
Food and beverages will be available from a variety of vendors, and parking will be available on site for the disabled. If needed, additional parking will be available at the Johnson County Fair Grounds with bus transportation to the air show.
The Max B. Swisher Skyhaven Airport is owned and operated by the University of Central Missouri and is located four miles west of Warrensburg on U.S. 50.
For more information on the air show, call the airport at 660-543-4921 or visit, www.ucmo.edu/aviation.
Skyhaven Air Show Schedule
Saturday, Sept. 7
9 a.m.: Gates open, displays and vendors available
Noon: Airshow begins
12:20 p.m.: Shetterly formation aerobatic teaser
12:45 p.m.: Patrick McAlee and the “Blue Demon”
1 p.m.: KC Flight formation demonstration
1:30 p.m.: Greg Shetterly’s one design aerobatic demonstration
2 p.m.: Joe “Rifle” Shetterly aerobatic performance
2:30 p.m.: Erik Edgrin comedy aerobatics
3 p.m.: Cub Disrud demo
3:30 p.m.: Shetterly formation aerobatic performance
4 p.m.: Patrick McAlee and the “Blue Demon”